December 30, 2010

My very own Christmas (break) traditions

Every year after the excitement and festivities of Christmas has passed, I have a few last things of my own that I always do before school starts again.

I always clean my house from top to bottom while I am putting away all the Christmas decorations. I like to start the new year off with a clean house.

I always take out our card table and work on a 1000 piece puzzle. I never seem to have time or room to do this any other time of the year.

But the thing that I do every year after Christmas, the thing that I love the absolute most - so much in fact that you could say it was my favorite, or even better yet - my precious - is to watch all 3 Lord of the Ring movies.

Now this might not seem like a challenge for most people but it is certainly a challenge for me. I feel like Frodo trying to make it to Mordor with only the aid of his best buddy - Sam. I have to schedule a time where the kids are either a) gone from the house or b) fast asleep. I don't aprove of them watching these movies yet. It could be because of the fact that some (ok, most) of the orcs scare me. It could also be because I was allowed to watch the movie Gremlins when I was only 7 years old and had nightmares afterwards into my teenage years. Even now I never, ever, let my arm dangle off the side of my bed just in case.  But don't tell anyone that. I don't want to give up my tough guy image just yet.

I also have to schedule a time when Mark is a) gone from the house or b) working. There was once a time when Mark liked these movies. Unfortunately that time has passed. It passed about 5 years ago after the 10th showing of the movies. Frodo drives him absolutely bonkers because Mark thinks he's a wuss and that Sam is the real hero and so now Mark likes to talk throughout the entire movie. This has almost led to a divorce for us. (Just kidding!) But for the sake of our marriage I do try to watch them while he is nowhere around.  

The third challenge I face is my own schedule. I have to make sure that all my other things are done before I can sit down and relax to enjoy the movies. Because when I finally sit down to relax and enjoy - I relax and enjoy. To prepare I will go put on my favorite comfy pajama bottoms, with comfy slipper socks so my toes don't get cold. I will have on hand a bowl of just-popped-movie-theatre-style popcorn. I will make sure that within reach I have all the remotes I need as well as a blanket to cover my eyes with when the movie gets too scary. I mean too exciting. And then I will press play.  



Aaahhh. Relax and enjoy people. Relax and enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie its mom again, Dad&me& Zach are in the process of watching the Lord of Rings trilogy right now,so you got this from us, your parents..Dad loves them as much as you do.You got your love of movies from me,all my kids, including my little brother,your Uncle Steven did too!Your Uncle David went with us to theater to see ET.(he actually cried)

Jeff said...

We just forced Jennifer to watch all three movies over the summer. Unfortunately, for her (not so much for us) we only had the extended edition, so over the course of a weekend, we spend 12 or so hours watching the three movies. I am not sure she appreciated just what great film making and story telling she was experiencing. I also attempted to get her to read the books, but that went nowhere. And while I don't quite agree with Mark about the wuss comment, I do think poor Samwise gets the short end of the stick. Each time we watch and he picks up Frodo, I can't help but smile, shed just one tear, and shout out "Rudy!"