October 22, 2009

This ones for you!

This post if for my bingo-lovin, "I'll only remarry if he's young, hot and rich", spunky, one-of-kind grandma.

The one who taught me my first cuss word (on accident) which she has also, almost, taught my boys. I caught her just in time.

The one who has always been my secret keeper. The one and only time I ever peed my pants was when I was playing at her house. Mortified and crushed, I asked her not to tell my mom. She promised she wouldn't and she never did.

The one who has always been one of my closest and best-loved friends.


The one who will pee her pants when she sees that I've put a picture of her on my blog.

My Grandma is everything I want to be when I grow up. She knows how to have fun and how to laugh loud when she finds something to be funny. She sets goals for herself and follows through with them. She is a world traveler and loves to dance. She is willing to try anything once and I have inherited my love of learning and reading from her.

My Grandma is the yardstick by which I measure all other grandmothers. None have ever come close. Growing up, my grandma let me pick her fingernail polish off when I was bored in church. She met me for lunch at least once a month during elementary school. She was the loudest cheerleader at every single one of my volleyball and basketball games. I often spent the night at her house and we would go for walks and bike rides or just stay in and read books or simply visit.

She took me with her on one of her bingo cruises a few years ago and we had a blast. We went out snorkeling and sailing and our personal favorite, boating in the mini-boats. I'll never forget her yelling at me to go faster! faster! as I'm driving this little boat across the ocean. My knuckles were white as I clenched the steering wheel (mind you - I have never driven a boat in my life) and I was freaked out for both of us, but grandma was at the front of the boat laughing and having a great time. I of course went faster just to make sure she got the most bang for her buck.

My Grandma is one of the luckiest woman alive. She wins more bingo money that anyone I have ever heard of. Grandma and I have played a lot of bingo in our time and I can already see me continuing the tradition. Her luck rubs off onto me and I occasionally strike it rich also. We always split our winnings 50 50. That's the kind of friendship we have.

Yes, my Grandma is lucky, but truly I am the lucky one. She has always been a bright spot in my life and I treasure each and every memory that we have made together. I always share "My Grandma... " stories and my friends love it. "I need a Grandma like that" is a popular response to most of my stories. Sorry friends, she's spoken for.

I love you Grandma - Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh.... I LOVE THIS!!! What a special birthday present for your beautiful Grandma! I also feel very blessed to know her... and I am so thankful to be able to call her one of my very best friends!

Sarah said...

Happy birthday, Miriah's grandma! She is definitely a one-of-a-kind lady!

Nelson's Nest said...

Beautiful post... brought tears to my eyes remembering my grandmas. What a gift for you and your boys to be able to spend so much time with this amazing lady.

Cindy Schimel said...

Ahhh, a face to put with all the stories at last. Reminds me of the day you and I were working on math stuff and she called to let you know she won A LOT of money. Working over time sure didn't pay off that day did it?
Happy birthday to a wonderful and much loved grandma.