April 5, 2013

NOT a conversation I ever thought to be having...

Do you remember when my little Mr.'s were this cute?

This sweet?

This innocent?


Yeah. Neither do I...

Tonight as we were driving home from swim lessons, I was singing along to the radio and dancing in my seat partly to the music and partly because I had to go potty. 

The boys were deep in conversation in the back and since I had the radio up loud and was concentrating on making it home quickly, I wasn't paying too much attention to what they were discussing so earnestly. 

Then they invited me to join in.

"Mom, when do girls get breasts?" Caleb asked with curiosity.

He had my full attention at breasts. 
I suddenly didn't have to pee anymore. 

I gathered my wits, turned off the radio and searched for my maturity (I usually leave it back in my classroom for the weekend). I quickly thought back to my days of breast development and replied,

"Well, some girls will start to develop breasts at age 9 or 10 and other girls (like your mother I thought, but wisely didn't say out loud) develop at a later age like 13."

"Why do you ask?" I said sweetly with the voice of motherly unconcern. Inside I was screaming "Why does my 8 year old want to know when girls get breasts! Is he looking at breasts! Why is Mark never around for these conversations!"

Owen chose that moment to pipe up. 
"I've noticed that some girls have bigger breasts than others." 

Lord help me. 

"Well, God makes us all different sizes and shapes. That way we can each be beautiful in our own unique ways..."

I held my breath as they mulled over my words. 

Then Caleb asked, "Why did God create breasts again?"

Owen answered before I could. 

"So mommies can water their babies!"

Caleb with his 8 year old infinite knowledge said "They don't JUST water their babies! Only one side is for milk and one side is for water! Moms can choose whether to feed or water their babies by putting them on one side or the other!"

He knows everything apparently. My work is done. 

Oops! Guess not because Owen chirped "Is that true Zooey-Mamma? (his new nickname for me)".

"Only milk comes out of breasts not water."

The car was silent for a good 4 minutes while they digested this new information. 
Then Owen ended the conversation by saying "I loved every minute I was in your tummy Zooey Momma."

Caleb (of course) said "Me too! I remember playing army in there and kicking you a lot!"

"I loved every minute you two were in my tummy also." (Although that was a lie - I couldn't honestly say every minute. More like a good 60% of the time...)

And from there the conversation morphed into what was for dinner and then a burping contest ensued. 

I am still dwelling on the first comment though...
and wondering why Caleb is curious about breasts!



1 comment:

Jeff said...

Oh no! I feel Mark will have to have a serious talk very soon! Erin just informed me that I am way behind on my Golter Goony reading and that you are waiting for a response. I will have to take the 35 question quiz and check answers as soon as I have time. I am sure I will not be passing this quiz. I felt so bad after visiting with Mark I looked on my calendar and noticed his birthday was the following day and we didn't even say anything. Doh!