January 27, 2009

Sweet Surprises










Now this cute fellow isn't one of mine. He is my friend Di's sweet surprise. I say surprise because he sure wasn't planned. I've been there and done that. The thing with sweet surprises is that they start out a little sour (well, my attitude about it was sour anyway and I must admit Diana and I have talked enough that I know she felt the same way). When I got pregnant with Owen, Caleb was only 4 and a half months old. I cried and cried and begged Mark to look at the indicator again. The poor man did as I asked and then had to face my wrath when he told me that I was still pregnant. When you have an unexpected pregnancy it seems like there are a million reasons why now is not a good time.

I just had a baby...

I just switched jobs...

I was working on my master's degree and teaching fulltime...

I didn't know if I wanted another one...


This wasn't in my plan ...


All those thoughts ran through my head over and over. As I grew bigger and bigger (and bigger) with my second child I grew almost resentful. I couldn't get past the inconvience of it. But then I had a change of heart. I had Owen. From the minute I held him and looked at him I was looking at love. I already loved him differently then I loved Caleb. Caleb was my first and I truly thought I would have a hard time loving another baby as much as I loved him. I was prepared for him and my heart was ready.

With Owen, one look and my heart was lost all over again. I breathed in his innocence and have never, never regretted him for one second. He will always be my most sweet surprise and he is truly a gift from God. He changed my heart and opened my eyes and I have been praying that prayer for my friend Diana. Now God answers all prayers and sometimes he doesn't answer them the way we want him too but...

...this time he did. Diana, enjoy your sweet surprise.











7 comments:

Sarah said...

That's about the sweetest thing I've ever read! You need to print that out and put it in Owen's baby book. *sniff, sniff*

Sarah Haney, M.A. said...

It's funny how that works. I'm one of the teen mom's who did it right. I'm happily married, I'm successful and I am working toward my degree in English with a 4.0 GPA. Children are a blessing. I wouldn't be half the woman I am today if it wasn't for my experiences. God never gives you anything you can't handle. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that adorable post. The pictures are too cute and the words mean the world to me. It is true, that once he was born and I held him, all my worries were gone. Even though my nights are sleepless and I am too tired to get much done during the day, I wouldn't change my sweet Daylen for anything. He wasn't in my plans, but he was part of God's plan.
He is starting to smile at me and it melts my heart. They grow so fast and as each stage ends, I feel a little sad that it is over, yet I am excited to experience each new day with him as he continues to reach new milestones. Thanks,Diana

Mrs. G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It was sweet Thank you for sharing.
I love you Grandma

Anonymous said...

Hi Miriah,

I just read our posting again and it brought tears to my eyes again. I also had a suprise baby. Your Uncle David was 8, your mom 10, and your Uncle Joey 13 when your Uncle Steve was born. I agree Steve suprise and a gift from God. I love, Grandma,
PS Thank your for my very special great-grandchil,dren.

AmyP said...

Mariah!
That was so sweet. And how true, babies are a precious gift from God. Nicole told me about your blog and I can't resist reading a good blog!
Amy Pitner