June 2, 2009

Boise Trip

It's time I told the truth. I married Mark for his family.


On Mark and I's second date he took me to meet his family. Not only did I get to meet them, but I got to spend the evening with them as they celebrated the countdown till Christmas with an advent wreath and activities. I'll never forget how his mom opened the door and hugged me in welcome. She has always acted out in love and this weekend she gave us another example of how she loves us.


We were all going to travel to Boise for my nephew Ukiah's graduation party and Mom brought this package to school for me. She had made "bingo" cards for the boys to play on the road trip. She drew and colored each square and she made each card different.





She had a prize for each child that catered to their interests. Dinosaurs = Owen, Army Delta Force = Agent Caleb.


She even made sure that they had sacks to put their toys into after they opened the packages.


The boys were thrilled and the car ride was great. Isn't my mom great? I did tell Mark before we got married though - "Do not expect me to be like your mother!" I already knew way back then that I could never measure up! My plan for the car ride was to try out the new DVD players the boys got for Christmas. Not quite the same...


Anyway, moving on. The graduation party was a blast. I loved seeing all the family members that could attend and while I wasn't very good at taking pictures (I was busy eating) I did get a few. Here is the graduation guy. Pretty tall huh? I was hoping for a nephew in the NBA but Ukiah wasn't listening to my subtle hints. UKIAH - JOIN THE NBA SO YOUR AUNT MIRIAH CAN HANG OUT COURTSIDE WITH ALL THE COOL PEOPLE! There - Maybe he'll get that one.



I got to meet little JD, the newest baby to enter the family. He was oh-so-very sweet and when I held him I heard him say he loved me. Well, not in those words exactly, but those coos and smiles he gave me meant the same thing. I love babies. My husband won't admit it but he does too. When no one was looking, he would come over and smell the babie's head and just breathe in JD's sweet baby smell. Jesse (JD's dad) asked Mark what he was doing and Mark said it's like puppy breath - there's no smell like it. I have to agree.



The boys playing with their new toys.

The boys doing one of their favorite things - wrestling.



Mark and his sis solving the world's problems. That would be a really interesting conversation. Think McCain vs. Obama.
Owen helping with clean-up.

Before we could leave town, we had to stop here:

My boys (all of them) spent a looooong time looking at things. Don't you just love the striped polos? Who does their shopping anyway?


I finally gave them this look and said "Let's go". They complied. Looking at this picture I can see why.

It was a very quick trip but well worth it. We had a great time visiting and hope to see everyone again soon!

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

fun post ... I love the McCain/Obama converstaion :)

Your mother-in-law is definitely one of my favorite people ... and here is another reason why :) I'm off to make BINGO cards now :)

Lisa said...

I always laugh right through your post- you are such a gifted writer!

I'm going to have to steal the bingo idea! What a HIT - and prizes (and bags for prizes)? Seriously. No wonder you married Mark for his family (lol).

Love the McCain/Obama comment- I think every family gets to have the dynamic ;) Sure makes the world go round.

Tell Mark there's a Cabela's in Postfalls- I (teeny) bit closer :)

Lisa said...

ps- the striped polos are really CAMO, right? They blend right in with the zebras - Hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Another great trip for my boys, I play bingo and I should have thought of that great idea. Mark does have a wondeerful family and I am very greatfull you married into the family, but they also got a very special gifted and beautifull inside and out wide and daughter.

Stacy B said...

I giggle through your posts, too. It's fun getting to know you through your writing. Your mother in law sounds like quite a gift!

Kristy said...

Fun!