June 6, 2009

Wiffle Ball

Caleb has officially entered the arena of sports . We signed him up for wiffle ball this year and it has been very interesting to say the least. His first game was last Tuesday.

What the picture shows: Caleb following his coach's direction and putting his hand's on his head so he can listen to what she says.

What the picture doesn't show: Caleb running up to me and telling me that "He's got it from here and I can leave now".

What the picture shows: Caleb doing his stretches with the other children.

What the picture doesn't show: Caleb hitting and being hit with the new hats that they just got and then trying to stand on his head.


What the picture shows: Caleb sitting down in the outfield.

What the picture doesn't show: Caleb so oblivious to the ball that it practically hits him as his coach and I are both yelling "STAND UP CALEB!" for the 10th time.

What the picture shows: Caleb ready to bat.

What the picture doesn't show: Caleb giving me a thumb's up as he walks up to the plate.

What the picture shows: Caleb watching the ball and getting ready to swing at it.

What the picture doesn't show: Caleb goofing off during many practices and the many "wiffs" it actually took before he could hit the wiffle ball.

What the picture shows: Caleb actually hitting the ball!
What the picture doesn't show: Caleb jogging slowly to first base waving to his grandma and I, yelling "Did you see me! Did you see me!"

What the picture shows: Caleb running the bases.
What the picture doesn't show: Nobody has hit the ball yet, Caleb is just running.

What the picture shows: Caleb chatting it up with the other team.

What the picture doesn't show: Caleb having to be told by her that he needs to head on to the next base and later Caleb asking me if she can come home with us. I guess he likes bossy women.

What the picture shows: Caleb sliding into home plate.

What the picture doesn't show: Caleb sliding into every base as he went around but for home plate he saved something special. He not only slid into home plate he twirled around on his bottom three times before he just laid there.


See him get into position for the bottom twirling?

Then he just laid there visiting for a little while with the girl who was patiently waiting for him to move so she could bat.


What the picture shows: Caleb and his team doing the end-of-the-game cheer.
What the picture doesn't show: Mom G. and I doing the same end-of-the-game cheer.
All in all, Caleb had a great time and that's what made it worth the torture of me having to watch and not jump in and tell him what to do. Well ... Ok, I did jump in and tell him twice what to do but that's it! It was a lot harder to sit and watch than I thought it would be! I can't wait until Mark gets to go. Then I'll sit back and laugh as he tries to control himself and not tell Caleb what to do! We'll see which of us has the more self-control. I know where my money is!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That was an awesome post! I am totally cracking up. I love your explanation of what the picture doesn't show--I can just see the little champ out there having the time of his life! :-)

Lindsay said...

What you don't see is the best part ... I can't wait to see/hear all about it when Mark goes :)

Great post!

Hope you're enjoying the weekend ... you're almost done!

Ronda said...

I am laughing so hard right now. Last year was our first experience in the sports arena. I understand completely about it being hard to sit on the sidelines. The very first game, Landon was hit in the eye with a ball...I had to let the coach take care of it...I have some great pictures of the crocodile tears that escaped when he saw me...he did want me to kiss it and it was all better in his world, mine too.