April 5, 2012

Cooking with Caleb

Each month I let the boys take turns choosing things that they would like to cook with me. 
I do this for a couple of reasons.

1. It's a way to spend time with them doing something I like to do also (as compared to when I have to go fishing - boring - or worm hunting - gross - or play Big Battle Tanks/Army Rangers/Spies - not my thing but I'll play anyway). 

2. I want to teach them to read instructions and be able to follow a recipe.(It's a 3rd grade standard after all!). 

3. I'm of the firm opinion that even though my boys are boys, they need to know how to cook!

So each month, I tell the boys to go through the cookbooks (they always choose desserts - they are their father's sons after all!) and they each mark two with pieces of paper that look good to them. I let them choose two because I get veto power and get to make the final decision. (I've found this is a great rule!)

Owen received this cookbook for Christmas and it is the boys' favorite! The pictures are awesome and I love the simple, easy to read directions. Plus, the recipes are pretty good!


Here's Caleb's choice: Gimme S'more (please!)


I have Caleb read all the way through the recipe and then we get all the ingredients out and ready to use. 


I will do some of the work, but I let them do most of it and even though it's sometimes a little messy (especially with Owen!) it's always fun!









And the best part?
Seeing how proud they are of their creations! 
(That and eating it of course!)



No comments: