December 31, 2011

65 Years...


14 years ago Mark and I had been dating for exactly 1 month when he asked me if I had plans for New Year's Eve -(of course I didn't because I had assumed I would be spending it with him - duh!). He asked me if I would like to celebrate his grandparent's anniversary with he and the rest of his family. It was his grandparent's 51st anniversary that year and in the previous years, the whole family would get together and dance, eat, and play games. It sounded like a lot of fun to me so of course I said yes. (I was still gaga over Mark at that point and I think if he had suggested we go mud wrestling I would have said "yes" but that's besides the point!)

 That first New Year's Eve with Mark's family was wonderful. His grandparents practically sparkled with love for each other and their family. I met so many of Mark's relatives and I loved each and every one of them.  (That's the real reason why I married Mark - his family is simply awesome!)

Since that first New Year's Eve we have celebrated with grandpa and grandma some of the time and some of the time we have gone and done other things, but this year is a big year for grandpa and grandma. It's their 65th anniversary and we will be celebrating in a big way tonight.  

The party will be out in Pilot Rock with lots of friends, family, food, and festivities! Grandpa and Grandma don't know everything that is planned and I can't wait to enjoy the surprise with them!

One of the surprises involves some different picture things and somehow I have ended up as the "official" family photographer! Luckily I don't mind one little bit. I loaded up my camera yesterday and we went over to the house and took some pictures. The weather wasn't cooperating but I did get a couple that I liked.

Mark's grandpa, Marvin, is such a handsome devil. He always has a twinkle in his eye as he teases you. But beware - he is a card shark and can "shoot the moon" every time his team is losing in pinochle! 






Mark's grandma, Darlene, is the sweetest person I know and a true example of a "Godly woman". She has the most patient and giving spirit. Each person who knows her can't help but admire and love her. I know I do!


As I look at these pictures again I am still in awe of how strong their marriage is. 65 years... sheesh! That seems like close to forever to me! So many of Mark's and I's friends have struggled or even divorced after only a few years. It breaks my heart each and every time. I wish they could hear the stories of people who have made it work, who really took their vows seriously - for better and for worse - people like Mark's grandparents. 

They've made 65 years look good - not always easy - but always filled with grace and love for each other. 





My wish for all my friends and family is that their marriages will be filled with the same things. Let this new year be a time to renew things in their relationships. Things like romance, thoughtfulness, kindness. My goal is to do the same. To put Mark first, ahead of me and my own selfish desires. To pray for him and encourage him in every way I can. To lift him up and praise him for all that he does for me and the boys. To let him know every single day how much I love him and respect him for being the man that he is. 

Maybe someday, on our 65th wedding anniversary, our grandchildren will be looking at us as the example to live up to and the standard to judge their marriages by!

Happy New Year's Eve and Hello 2012!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Great, great photos - you captured their spirit for sure!

Blessings to you in 2012! Lots of things are in store :)