February 21, 2012

Every extra minute

For those of you who know my husband Mark, you know that his favorite hobby is hunting.
It's not just his hobby, it's his passion. He loves it and thinks about it and plans for it and dreams of it all year long. He loves to hunt anything and everything. My house is filled with hunting magazines, hunting paraphernalia, hunting maps and of course...guns, bows, and arrows. 

I love that Mark has this hobby though because it allows me time to have my hobbies as well. 
I have several but I would say my main ones are (in order of least to greatest importance to me) as follows:

Blogging
Organizing
Cooking/Baking
Photography
Reading
Reading
Reading

I love doing all of those things but reading is my all-time favorite. 
I love it more than all the others combined.
I am, and always will be, a book nerd. 

Now I can usually moderate this hobby with my other ones so that it doesn't always take center stage. 
However, every once in a while a book will come along that consumes me. 
I dwell on it and it becomes my obsession.
I am in such a need for a fix of that book that as long as I have a free hand to hold the book, I will read it. 
While I blow dry my hair, brush my teeth, eat my breakfast, pack the boys's lunches, kiss Mark good bye, I will read it.
It will take over my life and ever other hobby becomes forgotten. 

Now this is usually ok because I will finish the book either that day or at the latest the next evening. But this last week I have had a serious problem. Not only was I super busy but I started a book that is the beginning of a series. 
A series that contains 5 books.
A series that contains 5 books with the average length of them being 1,000+ pages.
A series that isn't done yet! Aurgh!

I have forgotten all about blogging, only organized my pillows so they could better prop me up while I read, forced Mark to bake some cookies this week because I couldn't do them with one hand, and I haven't taken a single picture.

In fact, I am almost embarrassed to tell you that the only reason I am blogging right now is because my Kindle is completely dead and refusing to work until I do this little thing called charge it. 

So what book am I totally obsessing over?

This one:

martin-game-of-thrones_211.jpg (211×320)

Not much to look and it's not a book for everyone, that's for sure. 
If you don't like Lord of the Rings, you probably won't like this book. 
I could write a whole book review of it but so many other people have that I won't bother. 
I will just say this - it has gripped me and it  won't let go. 
I am currently on book 4 and until I finish book 5 my life will not go back to normal...

Then I can start obsessing about when the next two will be coming out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome I reading book 4 also. I listen to them as I drive. This may be the best series ever. My long hours of driving are reduced to minutes when I listen to the books. I like how even main caricatures can die and all caricatures good and bad are really nether. I think it should be renamed choices and the consistences of making them.
Dave Brooten

Anonymous said...

How cool that we are reading the same books! I had never heard of the series and then randomly picked up the first one at Barnes and Noble a couple of Saturdays ago. Do you obsess the same way that I do over them? I find myself wanting certain things to happen though and so far some of those things aren't happening at all! Do you think anyone in the family will be reunited? And I was so sad when Robb died. I had really hoped that he would be king even though I knew it wouldn't happen once Melisande saw his death in the fire...we need to talk! How fun it would be to discuss everything with someone who has also read the books. I wonder if Paul has read them also...

Anonymous said...

Robb dieing was awful. Tyrian is my favorite character by far. The whole odds stacked up against him even though he is suppose to be the bad guy he always seems to do the right thing. (except kill his father.) I hear the hbo miniseries was very true to the book. About them reuniting who knows with this series. The plot is always throwing curve balls. Have you read the girl with the dragon tattoo yet.

Anonymous said...

I did read that series also and I liked the second and third book the best. I made Mark read the first book and then we went and watched the movie. Umm...didn't like the movie as much - I think it made it too real for me where as the book I easily knew it wasn't. What did you think?

Anonymous said...

didn't see the movie yet will wait to dvd. can't open my wallet up to go to movie theater. Trying to get Kristy to read the books. I can only imagine seeing that book in film dealt with a lot of very dark themes. my Favorite part was hearing about Sweden and its culture and different life styles. If you need another series to read try Robert Jordan and the wheel of Time. 14 books long. I spent most of 2011 getting though that series.

Mrs. G said...

I've read through Robert Jordan - love them but the series is a wee bit long for me... Did you read the Hunger Games yet? Loved that series!

Anonymous said...

No I never read Hunger games will look into that for my next series. I agree book 4 has started off slow but I figure in will speed up soon I am at the half way point.