February 14, 2012

A romantic tale...

Before I begin to speak on the big L word (it is Valentine's Day after all) I have something to confess. 
I went a little crazy the other day and changed things all around on my blog and when I went in later to create a new post I found out that I had inadvertently locked myself out. 
Meaning that I didn't know how to log in anymore. The login place was normally located in the upper right hand corner of my old blog and that was no longer the case. 
I am pleased to tell you, I figured it out.

You probably already knew that since you are now reading what I wrote but sometimes I feel the need to pat myself on the back.

Now was one of those times. 

Moving on...It is Valentine's Day and Mark and I along with the boys are enjoying a night at home.
Peace and quiet with a little laundry thrown in.
I love it.

But I had romance on my mind. I was sitting here thinking about all the things Mark has done in the past that I found romantic. Some were the typical flowers and thoughtful cards type. Some were the hot bubble baths with rose petals type. Others were more tailor made just for me - a bag of cashews, 3 miniature pumpkins, a book I was wanting. 

I love the romance that you see in the movies. The big gestures and the little ones. But my all-time favorite romantical moves are the ones that are unique - ones that others might not think of as romantic at all.
Let me give you an example.

One of the most romantic things that Mark has ever done for me occurred when he and I went to the movies. 
I have mentioned a time or two how much I love the Lord of the Rings movies and this was when the 3rd movie was just released. The theater was packed. There were maybe 5 empty seats in the whole theater and I was so excited I could hardly stand myself. 

Finally the lights dimmed and the movie began. It was so great! I remember looking at Mark and squeezing his arm because I was so happy. The movie was very quiet  for the first several minutes and my happiness was starting to be a little less complete because 2 teenage girls in front of us wouldn't stop talking.How could they be talking during the best movie ever? I let it go for a while (maybe 3 minutes) and then I politely tapped one of them on the shoulder and said "Could you please stop talking now that the movie has started?"

She gave me a "whatever" look, tossed her hair over her shoulder and continued to visit with her friend. I  looked at Mark helplessly and shrugged my shoulders. Confrontation is not my style and I had just resolved myself to watching the movie through their chatter. 

Mark looked at me and then looked at them still talking. Then he pulled back one of his legs and kicked the snobby girls chair so hard that she was flung forward in her seat. He kicked it a couple of times to make sure she got the message and then he smiled at me and put his arm around my shoulders. 

Snobby girl didn't make another peep for the next 3 hours. 

I have never felt so loved.

I can still see her hair flipping forward as her body was pitched forward (and I have to giggle). I was both appalled at what Mark had done and also secretly pleased.

That is an example of romance in my book but it might not be in yours! Especially if you're the girl whose chair Mark kicked...

No comments: