April 19, 2009

Fire Trucks!

This was the first year I let Caleb have a say in what kind of birthday he wanted. Normally, Mark and I just think of something fun and we go from there. Since Caleb was turning the manly age of 5, I thought I would ask his input.

Mom: "So Caleb, if you could choose your birthday party, what kind would you like to have?"

Caleb: FBI!!!

Mom: (I should have guessed that one) "Hmmm... what would your 2nd choice be?"

Caleb: Fire Trucks!!!

Mom: (thank goodness! Fire trucks I can do!) "Ok Caleb, thanks for your ideas!"


Fire trucks were the name of the game on Saturday. Aunt McMolly made Caleb's cake (like she does every year) and she never even bats an eye at my requests. Elmo - no problem, pirate ship - piece of cake (Ha!), bugs - bring it on, fire truck - do you want it standing upright or laying on it's side? She's awesome!





This is the only present-opening shot I was able to take because my batteries died (of course) and not one single grandparent brought theirs! (yeesh!) Luckily my friend Diana happens to carry everything (including the kitchen sink) in her purse so of course she had a camera and extra batteries for it when it died too! Caleb got a 5 dollar bill and I can't tell who's more excited, Mark or Caleb.

The day we celebrated Caleb's birthday just happened to be great-grandma's birthday too! Happy Birthday Great - Grandma!

After the gift opening came the fun part. We all headed over to Fire Station 2 for a tour of the big rigs.


Fireman Dan was our man.

We went through the station and out to the garage where we got to see the ambulance as well.

Caleb got to lay out on the gurney and even be hooked up to the heart monitor. Isn't he cute, my little plucked chicken?


Fireman Dan let all the kids shoot water out of the hose and try to knock down a cone. They did this again and again and again...







Caleb's 2nd favorite police officer (his daddy will always be #1) even stopped by to say Happy Birthday.


Fireman Dan finally turned the water off before we dried up a well and invited the kids to climb around inside the fire truck.

That concluded our trip to the fire station and we wrapped up the party with cake and ice cream. Caleb swears this was the best birthday ever but he did ask why the FBI never showed up. I told him I had to use the bathroom and could he excuse me for a moment? Mark and I tucked the boys into bed at 8:00 and I tucked myself in at 8:32. What a day!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Good job on the birthday, Mama! What a little boy's dream!

Anne said...

What a day! Only in our wonderful small town would you be able to get to have real fire truck action for your party. Life is good!

Nelson's Nest said...

Holy cow, that has got to be one of the best parties I have ever seen. Caleb will surely never forget his fifth birthday. It sure looks like you have a big loving extended family... count those blessings!

Anonymous said...

It was a great party, Caleb was vey excited. Owen was very happy for his brother. I heard him tell Caleb he was the best brother and he was Caleb's best friend. He was so happy he picked out one of Caleb's present. It is a great gift to be part of your family and watch these beautiful boys grow up.

Great-gramdma, without a papa

Anonymous said...

sweetie,thanks so much for all the pic's!! Now these made me cry,(cuz I could'nt be there.)Caleb is so cute!& precious!(just like his mommy)Owen too! Mark too! You& Mark made Caleb's b-day so special,he'll remember it forever.Please put all these pics& the ones from "5yrs ago today" on a CD,so I can get them on a memory card,so I can watch them over&over.Baby, I will definetly..finally... admit it,Dad& I made a big mistake moving away!Sniff..sniff! p.s. Love the cake!