July 6, 2009

We're Back!!

Our trip was amazing ... but if I don't have to get on another one of these for the next few years of my life, I would be completely fine with that.

After many long hours in a plane we finally landed in Puerto Rico. You could tell instantly we weren't in "Kansas" anymore. We collected our baggage and made our way outside to get a taxi. The instant we stepped out the airport doors the heat hit us and I didn't stop sweating for the next two days. I sweated in places I didn't know I could. Luckily our Hotel had air conditioning so then I only had to sweat in the regular places.

We stayed in old San Juan which is a pretty neat place. It was founded in 1521 and you can tell it was built with horses and carriages in mind. The streets are very, very narrow and everything is built on top of each other.


The old buildings all have beautiful balconies in all different shapes and sizes.



The buildings also came in all different colors and there were several actual cobblestone streets.


No golden arches here. Just a simple word - McDonald's. I instantly craved french fries, but we decided to eat locally instead.

This place was called "Roots" and it was recommended to us by our cab driver.
I meant to get a picture of the whole menu and not just the alcohol section but alas, my camera had a mind of it's own. It was interesting to have the menu in Spanish. We all just kind of closed our eyes, waved our hands around and then pointed at something with our fingers.

A lot of the items had plantains (a type of bananna) as a side dish. Steve's were fried plantains with a sauce to dip it in and they were surprisingly good.



That is all I'm going to post for tonight because I. Am. Exhausted. I can't wait to show you all the pictures though and we did get some video of us zip-lining through the rain forest - cool stuff! Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see more!

And I'm with you...I haven't flown since Wes and I went to Mexico 6 years ago and if I never fly again, I'll be perfectly okay with that!

Nelson's Nest said...

Get some rest and then share, share, share. Can't wait to see zip line photos. Did you see any monkeys?

I bet your boys were glad to see you.