August 3, 2009

Lifelong Friends

This last weekend I had the privilege of going up to Wallowa Lake and spending time with some of the coolest girls I know - my girlfriends from college. One of them, Sarah, wrote about our history and connections on her blog here: Anderson Adventures. I don't want to copy her or "steal her thunder" (quick Sarah - what Friends episode is that!) but I do want to share some more pictures and stories about this awesome group of girls. Here we are 8 years ago on the cusp of graduation and entering the Read World. We worried about boys, bodies, and (in Jody's case) bathrooms. Even then we knew we were connected.

(Hailey, Me, Kylee, Sarah, Heather and Jody - May 2002)
Now flash forward to present day. We still are worried about boys (now husbands or soon-to-be), bodies (what the heck happened!?), babies (how did we all procreate so quickly!?) and (in all our cases) bathrooms. We were down in numbers as Hailey and Kelly couldn't join us but don't worry girls - we still felt like you were there. Hailey, you don't know it, but you got up early with me both Saturday and Sunday just like I knew you would and went for an hour long walk with me while the others slept in. And Kelly, you were right beside me as we all laughed at Fabio in the Stubborn Mule.

(Kylee, Me, Heather, Jody and Sarah)
What I love about our friendship is that we have been through a lot together and are always there for each other. I know that if something awful happened in my life I wouldn't even need to call - these girls would be there for me - just as I am there for them. I mean, look at some of the things we have endured.
The Amish Unit: Me and Heather got stuck with these two (who we still talk about and don't worry Jody - I made a copy of this picture and use the original to throw darts at!)
Numerous BBQ's at Sarah's house: Kylee, Me, Hailey and Elizabeth.

Bachelorette parties: Warning: May contain some adult content!!! The first picture is at the Greek Cuisina in Portland and Sarah and I along with Hailey (pink shirt) are getting down with our bad selves.
I'm not even going to say where we are in this picture but I'm telling you - I'll never forget it!

Weddings: I've been married since the cradle so the girls never knew me pre-Mark but we all went to weddings for Sarah, Kylee, Hailey and Heather. Jody and Kelly are next on the list and girls - WE WILL BE THERE!! This pic is from Sarah's wedding.

Baby Showers: We have also been to many of these but since I had been married the longest it was also my job to have the first baby so I did. Sarah, Hailey and Jody all came down for my baby shower and spent the night.

I love to look back on these pictures and think of all the fun we have had, the endless nights of talking and the countless memories we have created. But what I love the absolute most is that while some of the external stuff may change, like addresses and number of babies, the core person in each of us is intact and ever constant. Within a minute of seeing each other it's like we've never been apart. The stories change a little: giving birth, belly buttons, mortgages, in-laws and lifes unexpected twists and turns now dominate our conversations but our friendship never changes. These girls are a large chapter in my life and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Me and Hailey - Winter 2001
Sarah and I "The Boob Sisters". We are still killing 'em at pool!

Jody and Kylee trying to beat Sarah and I - they've been trying for years - it just ain't gonna happen.

Remember this night girls? Wasn't it fun? There were a lot of pics from this night but I am not going to include them all - you're welcome.

"Friends are the most important ingredient in this recipe of life"
I love you girls!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great blog-you and Sarah are truly pros and both brought tears to my eyes as well as smiles and laughing. We are a special group of girls for sure with the best kind of true friendship there is and you are right about the fact that even though some of us might only see each other once a year it doesn't mean we don't think of each other and we all know we'd do anything for any of us. I truly feel blessed to have met and become friends with such great girls.
Kylee

Sarah said...

Love it, love it! I will have to look at these pictures every time I need a laugh (and read what you said about Fabio).

BTW...you wouldn't have stolen my thunder and the Friends episode is the one where Monica gets engaged and Rachael makes out with Ross. :-)

Anonymous said...

Another good cry while reading an amazing blog! I don't care how far I have to drive...I will make it my goal to not miss another trip. I miss you all and will keep the memories we made...I wonder if Fabio even knows that he will be a topic of discussion for YEARS to come!!

~ Heather