January 20, 2012

Movies I Have to Watch When Mark is Not Around

Now that I have enjoyed the freedom of 3 snow days in a row, I must confess that I am starting to go a wee bit stir crazy. 

The first day was great. I did all the usual snow day things - snuggled back under the covers for some extra shut eye, hung out in my pajamas until 11:00, watched a movie, read some of my Tim Tebow book, tried a new recipe, got caught up on my blog reading. All in all very unproductive and very perfect.

The next day when I got the call saying there was no school I was a little more surprised. Two snow days?! The possibilities stretched before me. I felt like I needed to get a little more accomplished so I cleaned the bathroom, balanced my checkbook, swept every room in the house, washed the window shades, made the boys do some reading and math, reorganized my pantry and each cabinet in my kitchen. 

All by noon.

After that I started to hunt for things to do. I played games with the kids, read some more in my book, surfed the Internet for way too long, made some telephone calls to my friends to find out what they were doing to stay entertained. Most of them were pulling their hair out too.

Then I decided to organize my movies.
As I organized I quickly realized that there were a lot that I hadn't seen in a while. 
I started to ponder why and then it hit me. 
I have a bunch of movies that Mark can't stand. 

Now Mark loves a good movie and is even willing to watch (and enjoy) the occasional chick flick. 
That being said I believe that Mark doesn't like several of my movies for 3 main reasons.

Reason #1 - They are too mushy for him.
Take Titanic. We actually went to the movie theater to see this and while he enjoyed that one time, he has yet to ever watch it with me again.
He says it will damage his brain if he does...

Dirty Dancing falls into this category. Too long, too slow, too mushy.



Reason #2 - I have made him watch the movie with me too many times. 

Lord of the Rings is one of my all time favorite movies - all 3 of them.
Mark and I went to the movies to watch all of them. He even stayed up after a graveyard shift to take me and even though he fell asleep in a couple parts, he did act very grateful to me for waking him up each and every time. 
Fast forward a couple of years. My parents gave me the trilogy for Christmas and I made Mark sit down and watch it with me. He started to complain a little bit about Frodo being a wussy and that Sam was the real hero. The following year he decided that enough was enough and I can't even tempt him anymore. 

Reality Bites fall into this category.

Reason #3 - His taste simply isn't as good as mine. 
Mark loves fighting, shooting, blood, guts, heroes, death, and more fighting. 
Think 300.
Mark is all for a lot less talk and a lot more action in his movies.

Now don't get me wrong. I love some of those movies as well. My second favorite movie in the world is Braveheart and Last of the Mohicans is up there as well. 
But he also likes movies like Alpha Dog (stupid) and I Am Legend (I wanted to walk out of the theater and I still have nightmares).

Since today was a snow day as well, guess what I did. I watched me some movies. 
First Dirty Dancing - love that movie!
Then Titanic - cry every time!

It took me all day to watch those two because I had to make sure the boys were occupied (they had several epic battles in their room involving dinosaurs, action figures, legos, and a snake Owen won at the fair) and fed. 

When Mark comes home tonight I'm going to ask him if he would like to watch a movie. I can't wait to see his face when I offer up Pride and Prejudice.

(That movie falls under Reason #1)

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I believe yo mean it took you all day to watch those two movies because Titanic is about 4 hours long, and I'm sure Mark will agree with me that when watching it, it feels like 8 hours! And of course just by reading your post I will now have that cursed song stuck in my head for at least a week!