July 19, 2012

Blueberries and Raspberries - Part 1

Vacation at the beach was awesome but I must admit I am so very glad to be home. 

A couple of summers ago my cousin Johanna asked me if I would like to go blueberry picking with her. I wasn't even sure if I liked blueberries but I went ahead and said "sure, why not?"

We had an absolute blast and I found out that I do like blueberries - very much!
This year I went for a few hours on my own the morning of the 4th but then I invited Mark's mom to go again with the boys and I a few days later. We go to a u-pick place in Milton-Freewater and the berries are perfect. Easy to pick and loads of flavor. They are also only 1.50 a pound which is a great buy for blueberries!

We set out early, 5:30, in the morning and the boys were great. Caleb was really wanting to show Mark what a hard worker he can be.

Within minutes of arriving, we were given our section to pick from and we got to work. It was a little chilly that early in the morning but not bad at all. 




We spent about an hour or so picking the blueberries and then I moved onto the raspberries. The farm had just started growing these last summer and this year's crop was looking good. Big berries on thorn-less vines - that's my kind of raspberries! You do have to do a lot more hunting for the raspberries but it is still a lot of fun. 


It only took us a few hours to fill our buckets (former ice cream buckets!)


Caleb picked that whole gallon himself and he was very, very proud of his hard work! So was I. It was much quicker to have little helping hands!


Tomorrow I'll show you what we did with all those blueberries!

No comments: