July 3, 2012

Flashback - Owen's 6th birthday - July 2011


Each year I try to do something fun for the boys' birthdays but I do try to alternate between a "big" birthday with friends and a "small" birthday with family and maybe 1 or 2 friends. 
Last year was a "big" birthday for Owen and since I haven't done anything with the pictures that I took, I have decided now is the time to put them on here. 

I decided to do an "Amazing Race" for Owen's birthday which I have seen done on other blogs. I divided the kids into two teams, gave them colored bandannas to help them remember who was on their team, and then told them about each of the challenges they would face. They were located all over Mom and Dad's property and they wouldn't get a clue for the next challenge until they finished their current one. I placed an adult/helper at each station and then we began the race! 



(click on the pictures to make them larger)

The first challenge was called Run! Ride! Relay! and Mark was in charge of this one. 
The kids were so excited! 




The second challenge was the Hidden Puzzles. I had bought some dollar store puzzles of about 25 pieces and then hid them in Mom's garden. Once the kids found them, they had to work together to put assemble them before they received their next clue. 







They then experienced their first detour. 



With mouths covered in either doughnut dust or popsicle stains, the kids ran to their next challenge - The Scavenger Hunt. 

I had found a lot of fun things at the dollar store and I spread them all over Mom and Dad's backyard (a pretty big space!). 



Next up was the Chalk Attack! 


(Blue Team - Owen, Austin, Trent, Toby)


(Green Team - Caleb, Joleah, Holden, Skylar)

Then it was time for the Mandatory Pit Stop - cake and ice cream!




(Owen with his cousin Skylar)
(Caleb with his cousin Joleah)

We sang Happy Birthday, let Owen take the first birthday bite and then we quietly ate cake and ice cream for about 10 minutes. Once the first kid was done though, they were ready to play again!
First up was the Marshmallow Monet challenge.





Followed by one last detour...


Only 3 more things to go!




First Mark and Bob demonstrate...


Then the kids give it a shot!



Then Mark does something sneaky and pelts Bob with a water balloon which leads to...


everyone pelting Bob with water balloons! 


The final event was called Clean to the Finish (and it was a good one too!) 


Once they cleaned, they got in line against the far white fence before we said Go! 
Then they had to race towards the Finish Line.



Owen the Birthday Boy won! Imagine that!

Then it was time to chill inside and open some presents. I love how kids gather around to see what presents are opened. I think I'm going to do that at the next birthday party I go to - sit as close to the birthday person as I can and ooh and aah over each and every thing as well as suggest different ways we can play with each thing...



Caleb read each and every card for his brother.


The party was definitely a BIG BLAST and one that is going to be hard to beat! I'll tell you tomorrow what we did today for his "small" birthday celebration!



No comments: