July 24, 2012

Blueberries and Raspberries Part 2


It seems that I have mislead some of you and I humbly apologize.
You see when I said that I would try to blog every day, I actually meant that I would try to blog everyday that I wasn't:
a) out of town
or
b) too busy to sit my hiney into the chair in front of the computer. 

Also, let me clarify that when I say "tomorrow", it is a relative term for me during the summer as in "the sun will come out tomorrow". My "tomorrow" means "sometime in the not-so-distant" future. Please do not hold your breath when I start promising to do something "tomorrow". 

Phew! Now that I have no more guilty feelings for not following through on my promises I can now continue to blog about events from the very beginning of the month (someday I will catch up. Maybe "tomorrow" ). 

Once the boys and I had slaved away picking our weight in blueberries and raspberries, I began the process of getting them ready to be frozen so we could enjoy them until next year at this time. 

First I gathered all the buckets into the kitchen. 


Then I began to wash and gently go through all the berries. They are full of leaves and sometimes bugs so I want to make sure they get really clean! I also carefully looked through the berries that the boys had picked since biting into an unripe blueberry is not a pleasant experience. 



Once they are pretty well rinsed, I spread them out and look them over one more time while I dry them with a paper towel. 


Then I spread them out on a cookie sheet...


and place the cookie sheet into the freezer. 


We ended up with plenty to last us through the year! I eat the blueberries almost daily in my cereal or oatmeal. I also use them in pancakes, muffins and desserts. I haven't used them in smoothies yet but I am thinking I will try it out this year. We also just grab a handful from the freezer and suck on them during a movie instead of eating popcorn or candy. They are delicious no matter what you do with them. 


But my very favorite thing to do with them? Making them into a pie and then sharing it with family and friends while it's warm and covered with vanilla ice cream. 
Seriously - it doesn't get much better than that!







3 comments:

Ms. Kunz said...

The berries look great! I am looking for an opportunity to go pick, especially the raspberries. Thanks for the post.

Jeff said...

Oh, how this post makes me so hungry. My lonesome self went picking but I've already ate almost all of them and now I am too bust to pick more. I can't wait for Nathan to grow up so I have a helping hand.

Mrs. G said...

Next time you come through town I will give you some of my berries! And make you a pie if you give me enough of a notice!