July 25, 2012

Top 10 things about our beach trip


This year was the year to make our trip to the Oregon Coast to hook up with Mark's family for a reunion. In the past I have taken countless photos and then shared a limited few while the others ended up forever stored on my computer with no one to look at them but me. 

This year I went the simplistic route and I took my camera out once.
Once. 
Looking back, I think that I should have made more of an effort but then again I don't have gobs of pictures to wade through or the angst of deciding what to do with them - sixes and sevens. 

So, rather than inundating you with countless beach/family pictures, I'm going to bore you with my list of favorite things about this trip!

Yeah! I bet you can hardly wait!

In no particular order...

1. Staying up until almost midnight each night so that we could play hearts and talk about everything under the sun - from zombie books to teasing a certain someone about their choice of workout music. I look forward to those nights each and every reunion.

2. Watching our nephew feed Kye some dog treats and his excitement and delight in her. 

3. Visiting with family (of course!) and hearing the latest news in their lives. I love hearing how jobs are going, kids are doing in school, pets are getting along, and people's plans for the future. 

4. Seeing the dogs play in the water. I have always enjoyed Kye's love of the water but this year it was fun to watch Mercy see her first crab, chase her first waves, and dig for treasures in the sand. 


5. Reading. I did a lot of reading while we were at the beach. I began and finished 2 books and started a third. I loved the fact that I could text my friend Sarah about one of the books and we could both shout out at the same time "FICTION!!!!". You'll know what book I'm talking about when I do July's book reviews...

6. Visiting places that are filled with tradition for these beach trips: Lincoln City with the outlet mall and the used book store ( a must every single time!) and the Tillamook cheese factory so we can savor Grandma's cake batter ice cream. 

7. Kicking my shoes off and sitting in the sand while the kids build sandcastles around me. Burying Owen up to his neck, exploring tide pools, going for walks and even one really fun run. There is no doubt about it - I love going to the beach for the sand and water alone!


8. Having times when the whole family can get together whether it's to have a white elephant exchange or to simply enjoy time to talk about Jesus. There is lots of teasing, lots of patience and lots of love. 

9. Vacation Mark. I love the time that Mark and I have together on vacation. There is plenty of time to talk, plenty of time to dream together about future plans, time to laugh and time to just soak up each other again. Time for Mark to grow out his facial hair ...


10. I love the memories that I take away with me each and every trip. Then I love how we all revisit them together and laugh all over again. 

Good thing this list wasn't in any particular order! I would have had a hard time choosing the number one slot...

No comments: